Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Strawberry poptarts

I try to make homemade versions of the snack favorites as much as I can. One of the favorites of the kids is poptarts. When I started making them from scratch, they started asking for them at least once a week. So I made them again today for snack. I thought I would share my recipe. For the crust, I have tried several different pie crust recipes and came up with my own that is super easy and always comes out tasting great. Here ya go.


Homemade strawberry poptarts

2 1/2 cups flour ( I have used half whole wheat flour and half white flour in the past, but it makes the dough a little harder to work with. But it tastes just as great)
2 sticks (1 cup) cold butter, cut into chunks. I usually just cut them into tbsp size pieces
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup ice cold water


In a food processor (I use my ninja) combine flour, sugar and salt until combined.  Add cold butter and pulse until butter and dry ingredients almost resemble thick sand. Slowly add water a tbsp at a time until it forms a dough. You don't want it too wet but also not too dry.
 
Pour it out into a bowl and incorporate any flour that didn't get mixed in.


Put it onto a piece of saran wrap and cover. Use your hands to knead it until it forms a ball. It takes me a couple minutes.

Divide into two balls. Wrap and saran wrap and place in freezer for a half hour.

Roll out on a flour surface as thin as you can but don't make it paper thin. Try to roll it into a rectangle shape. Repeat with the second ball.  Cut edges off to form a rectangle. Cut each rectangle into 4 -6 equal rectangles depending on how big of poptarts you want. You will be folding the rectangles over each other so it will be both the top and bottom of the poptart.

Preheat the oven to 350°.

Make the filling. Mix together a tbsp of cornstarch and a tbsp of water until blended.  Mix jnto a 1/2 cup strawberry jam. Place a tbsp of filling onto the right half of the rectangle leaving about 1/3" around the edges.

Fold over the other half and use a fork all the way around to seal the edges.

Prick the top a couple times to allow the steam to release while cooking. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 25 min or until light golden brown. 

Place on wire rack to cool down.
 

Make topping. Mix 1 cup of powdered sugar with 1/4 tsp of vanilla and 2-3 tbsp milk. I also adds few drops of food coloring for fun. The kids love the colored icing.


Once the poptarts are cooled down, ice them with the icing and sprinkle with sprinkles.


Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment